Tuesday, March 16, 2010

fiveleft in the opening and closing ceremonies

Here is the story...David Atkins Etn. (the producers of the opening and closing ceremonies) contracted me to help create leathergoods to be used by the Four Host First Nations during the 2010 opening ceremonies

I worked with First Nations designer John Powell to make the bags that held drum sticks used to welcome the atheletes.

Tsleil-Waututh (pronounced sleigh-wa-tooth) Nation's bags


Lil’wat Nation's bags (I made two)

I was honoured to collaborate with some masters for The Squamish Nation and Musqueam Nation's bags...

woven wool covering (black,white,red)
by Robyn Sparrow for the Musqueam Nation


woven cedar covering
by Anthony Hunt for the the Squamish Nation


I was also asked to make a series of bags out of a buffalo hide...I made around 20
(with the help of Dana Smith)




Later they asked me to create a gift for ‘a prominent canadian artist’ (they wouldn’t tell me who)...a guitar strap that would be used during closing ceremonies...it was Neil Young.

photo credit: Cameron Spencer/Getty Images

They gave me the length, the art work and I designed the strap. The graphics you see are images designed by First Nations artists from each of the the Four Host First Nations .

the round presentation case was my idea. I though the strap should have a beautiful case for it. the artwork on the top was designed by Jody Broomfield...

...thank you Anna Maidon, John Powell, and Paxton Downard for the wonderful experience


2 comments:

  1. Yvonne ConnorNovember 27, 2010

    Excellent workmanship Linclon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You never fail to impress me and others... wow and well done!

    ReplyDelete